Thursday, February 5, 2009

A new perspective...

I've had a defining moment week that has changed my perspective! Tuesday afternoon, Khris got hit with what he thought was a big thorn, in the back of the leg. The pain was excruciating and immediately started stretching up his leg. By the time I got home, he was shaking and nauseated from the pain. I wanted to take him to the ER but he just kept saying, "Do you know how tough I am?!" By Wednesday morning, the pain was even worse and we both started wondering if maybe it was a snake bite. (He was out in the field around the church when it happened.) He went to the doctor and he confirmed it was definitely a snake bite,and probably a copperhead. If we had called on Tuesday, they would have immediately sent us to the ER! The doctor said, since he was still alive, he was probably going to be OK - so they put him on antibiotics. There's only one puncture wound, so, there must have only been one fang's worth of venom. Who knows if Khris would still be here if the snake had gotten both fangs in?! He's still in a ton of pain - but it's getting better.

I just looked at him last night and thought - "what in the world would I do without that man"?! I can't and don't want to imagine it!! But, that thought started a reevaluation of my current priorities, which are seriously out of whack! Look at these precious babies of mine:
I've had nothing to post because I've had very little interaction with them this week. I worked almost 60 hours last week. This week, I've tried to work less hours, but I'm so tired when I come home, I just collapse! Now, for those of you who have children in my Math class, you know that I am not at all saying I want to slack off as a teacher! However, knowing those friends who read my blog, I KNOW that you would all agree my primary job is to raise my OWN babies.

Please pray for me when you think of it. I desperately want to be a blessing as a wife, mother, teacher, friend, pastor's wife, daughter, and sister. But, that's alot of hats!! I know I'm my own worst critic, a perfectionist, yada-yada...God made me that way for a reason and it has brought me far in life. But sometimes, I let those things take over - NO MORE!!! Pray that I am able to do my best as a teacher AND have enough energy to bless my family when I get home!

5 comments:

Angie Lynn said...

Wowzers woman! How close was that? Praying for you my friend!

MAMA CEO said...

I'm glad to hear that he is okay. Women and hats...most of us think that the are just accessories! But all to often we forget to remember to wear the most important hats! You're in my prayers.

Jill said...

My all-time most favorite Psalm:

"He who dwells in the shelter of the Most High will rest in the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, 'He is my refuge and my fortress, my God, in whom I trust.' Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare and from the deadly pestilence. He will cover you with his feathers, and under his wings you will find refuge; his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart. You will not fear the terror of night, nor the arrow that flies by day, nor the pestilence that stalks in the darkness, nor the plague that destroys at midday. A thousand may fall at your side, ten thousand at your right hand, but it will not come near you. You will only observe with your eyes and see the punishment of the wicked. If you make the Most High your dwelling-even the Lord, who is my refuge-then no harm will befall you, no disaster will come near your tent. For he will command his angels concerning you to guard you in all your ways; they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone. You will tread upon the lion and the cobra; you will trample the great lion and the serpent. 'Because he loves me,' says the Lord, 'I will rescue him; I will protect him, for he acknowledges my name. He will call upon me, and I will answer him; I will be with him in trouble, I will deliver him and honor him. With long life will I satisfy him and show him my salvation.'" Psalm 91

I'm praying over you.

Love you!

ehardin said...

Oh my gosh!!!!
That is scary. Glad he is ok..
take a deep breath...I know you are spread thin. praying for you

Tricia said...

Did you say SNAKE BITE?? Oh. My. Goodness. I cannot handle this. I truly cannot.

What a very scary close call for all of you. Khris should forever where snake-proof pants to work.