Sunday, January 18, 2009

An epiphany...

Don't you just love that word, epiphany?!

OK anyway, I just finished my quiet time and it was so simple, yet completely life-changing, I had to share. Now, for fear of not communicating it correctly, I'm just going to quote it completely. So, this is Day 25 in James MacDonald's devotional book, "Ancient Wisdom".

A contrary man spreads conflict and a gossip seperates friends. Proverbs 16:28

Don't be a pervert.

"Uh, okay", you may say, a little smack of sarcasm in your voice. "I wasn't exactly planning on it." In some translations of the verse above, the "contrary man" is said to be instead a "perverse man". Not the wild-eyed, drooling kind of sick-o, but one who for some twisted reason delights in stirring up trouble, in sowing conflict, in separating friends.

You can't spot this person right away. He's not the kind to drop a bomb in between people and be known as the perpetrator. Instead, he "spreads conflict". He "sows strife" as some versions of the Bible say it. He plants seeds that over time have the potential to grow into bigger issues with the muscle to pull people apart, to arouse suspicions, to invite unkind words and actions. It's subtle. It's sneaky.

But they're out there, these perverts, bristling with the power to separate even the best of friends. They're not out in front where you can see them. They're off to the side, out in the parking lot, on the phone, at the store, over coffee, whispering things: "Did you hear about-? Can you believe it? Isn't it just awful? How could she do a thing like that?" Theirs is a condition born of insecurity, jealousy, and anger but it reveals itself in treachery and distrust.

Why would God put this verse in the Bible? Was He thinking that a perverse person would be reading the book of Proverbs, would slap himself on the forehead and say, "Oh no! That's me! I've got to stop doing that!"

No, there's little likelihood that a foolish person is going to find much value in Proverbs, as if he was going to change anyway. This verse is for the person who wants to protect her friendships, who knows to be on the lookout for:
  • Bad reports. "Hey did you hear about such-and so? I know it's none of my business, but..."
  • Half-truths. "Did you hear that Bill lost his job? Did you hear why? I think the reason is..."
  • Exaggerations. A kernel of truth expanded into a bad report.
  • Motive assessments. "Do you know why she does that? You know why he acts that way?" No, do you?
I've learned to stop this stuff in it's tracks. If you're sincere about protecting your friendships, do these two things:
1) Stop the repetition
and
2) Cover the transgression.

Bad reports may travel fast through the grapevine, but they need to stop with us. When people come to me and say, "Pastor, did you know..." I usually answer back, "Why are you telling me this?" (That's a little nicer than saying what actually comes to mind: "What do my ears look like to you? A trash can?") This direct approach puts a strange, blank look on people's faces. "Why are you telling me this?" is the best reply I know of to a piece of gossip.

Only a few times in your life can you do something that you're absolutely sure God wants you to do. This is one of them. If you're serious about taking care of your friends, don't let the perverts have their way. "Hatred stirs up conflict, but love covers all offenses." (Prov. 10:12)

Do bad reports stop with you, or do they continue on? Are you a clog or a conduit in the personal injury pipeline? What makes this a challenge in your life?

I mean, if that doesn't hit you right square between the eyes - then you must not be living here in America! I can't think of any place we've ever lived, any job I've ever had, any ANYTHING where this truth did not apply! And, I could absolutely remember plenty of instances of "perverse" people in my world...but the part that was so huge for me this morning was this sentence: "Are you a clog or a conduit in the personal injury pipeline?" WHOA!! But, don't we need to be able to vent our frustrations?! Apparently not!! If I vent...doesn't that harm the one I'm venting to?! I was very convicted this morning that God has all the "problems" in my life well under control. Venting to other people only harms THEM. They can't fix it...only God can! I love my friends, family, and church DEARLY and I would never want to say anything that would harm their faith or make them worry for me!!

So, I'm posting this for 2 reasons:
1) To encourage everyone to quit being a "conduit on the personal injury pipeline"
and
2) To apologize for all the times I've been a conduit in the name of "venting".

God can protect our reputation and our church family very well...my job is to keep my eyes on HIM and the work He has set for me to do!!! (Because there will ALWAYS be someone or something else to focus on, believe me!)

I'm so glad I get to go worship God with my church family this morning...I just want to hug them all!!

1 comment:

Jill said...

Wow! That is good! Thanks for sharing the conviction.

What a day!! I love you my friend!!

You got your pretty blog layout back!!!