Wednesday, March 4, 2009

What's the point?

What is the point of my current insanity? I have to wake up at 5:15 am to spend a little time alone with the Lord before my family wakes up and my insane day begins. I rush my children through getting ready for school because I am more worried about being on time than whether or not they ate a healthy breakfast. Really?! When it's typed out in a sentence, it is so extremely obvious that I have those priorities backwards. Now, as a professional organizer, I'm sure I would have quipped (very self-righteously) about how you just need to plan your morning better so you can feed them a healthy breakfast AND arrive at school on time. (By the way, I am so sorry if I caused any undo stress to any of you who had me help you get organized!) ...sigh... Then, I head to my job as a Middle School Math teacher - I don't know if ya'll remember middle school, but learning Math is not high on their list of priorities. I used to gripe and complain about the pointlessness of being a stay-at-home mom, and being under appreciated, and repeating instructions a hundred times, yada, yada...um...I'm STILL doing that!! Except now it's with a room full of hormonal 12 year olds who hate my guts because I want them to find the surface area of a polyhedron and show all their work WITHOUT a calculator! So after the best hours of my day are spent, my feet are sore, my throat is dry, and my nerves are shot, I head back home to my most important position as wife and mother - except I have nothing left to give...sigh...(again)
So - I go pick up my children at my friend's house - and I'm greeted with, "Aw mom, do we have to go?! Can't we stay a little bit longer?!" (Ya'll know you see these children EVERY day right?!) And I'm sure my friend is thinking, "YES!! You have to go!! Please don't stay - you people are CRAZY!!" We FINALLY get in the car and head home with these questions, "What are we having for dinner? Can I have a sleepover this weekend? When are you going to plan my birthday party? When will it be summer? Can I play on the computer when we get home? Do I have karate tonight? When will I have karate? Is that after this day? Are my jeans clean? Don't forget we need to finish my project..." So, in the 1 mile we drive to get home I go from on the brink of crazy to full-blown lost her ever-lovin'! Sooo...let's go prepare a delicious healthy meal from scratch!! :) (Oh, and clean up the dishes so the kitchen is spotless when we wake up tomorrow.) And, don't forget, your students wanted their test grades back tomorrow - so you better stay up and grade them. Oh, and an organized mom would do at least one load of laundry a day. Wait, those kids didn't do their list?! Why do I have a list? (I'm sure their response would be a snotty, "That's what we've been trying to tell you - why DO you have a list?") ...sigh...well, everything isn't done, but we better go to sleep so we can do this all again tomorrow - YEAH!!...3 am..."Mommy, I threw up..." And instead of compassion, I think, "What? You can't be sick? Who's going to take care of you? Mommy and Daddy have to work!" WHY??? Why can't I stay home and rub the forehead of my sick baby?...What is the POINT?! Meaningless, meaningless, it's all meaningless!!!!! (Wow, I feel better - don't you?! tee hee)

1 comment:

Angie Lynn said...

Wish I had something really profound to offer here... but all I can say is that I feel your pain... and I don't work! Outside of the home that is... but I don't have to explain that one to ya! You can feel MY pain there! It's a vicious circle really, isn't it?!